After Back Surgery
Rehab after Back or Spine Surgery
Types of back surgery
There are two main types of back surgery. In open spine surgeries, the surgeon makes a long incision through muscle and other tissues. Then, they can reach the injured part of the spine. This type of surgery means a longer recovery and in patient stay. Minimally invasive, on the other hand, is normally safer, and can be performed on an outpatient basis or with shorter hospital stays. Types of back surgeries include:
- Spinal fusion
- Disc Replacement
Rehab after back surgery
Physical therapy after surgery will help you to get back motion and strength. Licensed physical therapists are uniquely trained to restore range of motion, strength, and to prevent re-injury while you recover. Then, you can get back to all the activities you love, safely.
- Rehab will help the muscles in your back grow stronger to keep the spine stable. This will reduce stress on the surgical site.
- Also, your therapist will teach you how to gently stretch to make movement easier. By stretching your back, abdominals, and the hip muscles that attach to the spine and pelvis, you can prevent loss of range of motion.
- And, muscle movement promotes blood flow. This supports healing, since blood carries oxygen, which is your body needs to heal.
- Finally, you will notice a sense of well being as you enjoy less pain in movement and can return to your daily activities, .
What to expect from physical therapy
- First, your therapist will do a complete evaluation and design a custom plan of care for you.
- Then, they will teach you to control your pain through exercise, modified activity and sleep positioning.
- They will also help you with tightness in your hips and shoulders.
- You will gain mobility and build strength on a timeline that ensures a safe return to your favorite activities.
Landmark Physical Therapy © 2017, All Rights Reserved