Balance and Fall Prevention
Did you know?
- 1 of every 3 older Americans fall every year
- 95% of hip fractures result from falls
- 50% of older people can’t live on their own after being injured in a fall
Risk factors for falls
- A history of falling
- Muscle weakness in legs
- Balance problems
- Vision problems
- Medical conditions that limit your mobility, such as Parkinson’s disease or stroke
- Dementia, Alzheimer disease or Depression
- Taking more than four medications, or sedatives or antidepressants
- Home hazards such as loose rugs or pets
- Low blood pressure
- Being 80 years old or older
You can improve balance and avoid becoming a statistic…
Balance training with a physical therapist can not only improve your walking speed, but your ability to climb stairs. It also increases your stability in daily life while decreasing your fall risk. Physical therapy helps to improve balance by strengthening your ankles, hips and core, stretching muscles, and to increase your sense of balance.
Landmark offers a FREE 15 minute screening to determine if physical therapy is the best choice to help you become more steady on your feet. Use our simple online form to request your appointment today!
Landmark Physical Therapy © 2017, All Rights Reserved